Sunday, May 3, 2009

1993 WBKI tour with bonus photos and new narration

For all you technical types here is a new edit of the WBKI-AM tour. Just a brief note about the station. It was the most unusual facility I have ever worked in. For starters, the small building (I estimate less than 1,800 square feet) housed offices, control room, production room, and transmitter  located on a fairly good sized plot of land. Behind the building was the tower surrounded by, no kidding, pasture with at least one cow. In front, only about 40 or 50 feet away were train tracks. Many a train have ruined a few commercial takes there. WBKI typified the term peanut whistle. Most proper stations I worked for had studio/office facilities with transmitter & tower site located miles away. WBKI was definately the only one so close to noisy rail. When working there I was somewhat concerned with so much concentrated RF (radio frequency) passing through me 6 hours a day. I wonder if the airwaves ever fried that cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment